This article is also available in audio via the link below. Continue below to read the full length written version.
Coming up in a future article (keep your eyes peeled), we’ll talk about how to set up and optimize your LinkedIn company page. We’ll also go over tips and tricks to customize your content strategy for the platform, but, before we get to all that good stuff, let’s pump the breaks for a moment to look at your own personal LinkedIn profile.
Why does that matter?
Well, although you may be more interested in engaging users with your business, you and your employees are at the heart of that business. Your customers want to see the face behind the storefront.
So, before we do anything else, let’s perform a quick audit of your page and check to make sure your profile includes the following:
- High-quality headshot: If you don’t have a decent camera and access to some basic photo-editing tools, it may be worth your while to invest in a professional photoshoot. You can take this opportunity to also get some images of your storefront, products, employees, etc. for your website or other social media.
- Up-to-date work experience and current position: Obviously, if your LinkedIn work history begins and ends with your first job out of college, it’s time for an update. Take some time to create a list of past positions and relevant experiences to showcase your skills.
- Detailed biography: With LinkedIn, it’s generally best to keep it professional. While users on other platforms value a more creative approach and conversational tone, bios on LinkedIn tend to be a bit more formal and to-the-point. Focus on your professional qualifications and achievements in your biography.
- Endorsements and recommendations: If you don’t have many (or any) recommendations on LinkedIn, now’s the time to fix that. Reach out to existing connections—both coworkers and customers—to ask them for a review of your professional performance. Obviously, this advice only applies with people who you know will give you a positive review.
Once you check those items off the list, you’re ready to create a company page.
Thanks for reading.
About the Author
Mike Speer is a digital marketing executive at Michaels Wilder. Tune in daily for new content and other updates from Michaels Wilder that focus specifically on building your businesses digital presence. Sign up for our exclusive Inner Circle Newsletter, which will have exclusive content for Business Owners and Marketers that will not be posted on social platforms.
Want to work with us? We know making a phone call isn't always convenient in real time and we understand that. Contact the author directly in any format below:
- Call or Text: 512-361-8716
- Email: MSpeer@MichaelsWilder.com
- LinkedIn Inbox: – Send request with note, "Interested in working with you" and your message will be returned within 24-hours.